The goal of Burke’s Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Program is to help achieve the highest level of independence possible following spinal cord injury or disease. We serve adolescent through elderly patients with diagnoses such as traumatic spinal cord injury, spinal cord hemorrhage and infarction, multiple sclerosism transverse myelitis, and spinal tumors.
Scope of Services
Burke’s Spinal Cord Injury team is committed to:
- Providing comprehensive, patient-focused rehabilitation, through an interdisciplinary approach based on communication, collaboration and cooperation.
- Maximizing recovery from the physical, cognitive, and psychological impairments caused by spinal cord injury.
- Removing or lessening restrictions to participation in life activities and counseling individuals and families on alternative possibilities for life participation when necessary.
- Preparing the individual, family or caregiver for transition to the next stage of the rehabilitation process.
Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Team Description
The philosophy of the Spinal Cord Injury Program is that comprehensive rehabilitation can best be achieved through an interdisciplinary team approach. The core team consists of:
- Individual with spinal cord injury or disease
- Individual’s family and caregivers
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreation Therapy
- Rehabilitation Nursing
- Respiratory Therapy
- Social Work/Case Management
- Speech and Language Therapy