Spinal cord injuries generally begin with a blow to the spinal column. The force can fracture or dislocate vertebrae – the bone segments in the back. And spinal cord tissue is damaged.
A wide range of symptoms can be experienced, depending on the severity and location. Some spinal injury victims can expect full recovery with rehabilitation. Other injuries are more serious and can result in paralysis. In either case, rehabilitation is important to treatment and repair.
In addition to limiting mobility, spinal cord injuries can result in additional issues, such as respiratory problems.
Our hospital has all the resources needed for specialized spinal cord injury care. The team approach puts the right experts and therapies together for the best possible outcome, focused on:
- A custom treatment plan, specific to the patient’s needs
- Medical care and recovery
- Training and adaptation
- Supporting the emotional needs of both the patient and caregivers
- Accessing home-based services as needed
- Maximizing function at the fullest potential, despite limitations