Spinal Cord Injury

Spinal cord injury can result in paralysis of the muscles used for breathing; paralysis and/or loss of feeling in all or some of the trunk, arms, and legs; weakness; numbness; loss of bowel and bladder control; and numerous secondary conditions including respiratory problems, pressure sores, and sometimes fatal spikes in blood pressure. Approximately 12,000 new spinal cord injuries occur in the U.S. each year. A majority of injuries occur from motor vehicle accidents, falls, work-related accidents, sports injuries, and penetrations such as stab or gunshot wounds.

Our Membership Community

Our membership community provides a lifeline for many individuals that are focused on regaining their independence and improving their quality of life––whether they are leaving rehab after sustaining a spinal cord injury, learning to live with symptoms of a spinal cord disorder, or have spent years of frustration coping with disability. We provide members guidance and resources on a variety of topics they are passionate about, such as employment, affordable housing, transportation, health care, home- and community-based independent living, education, peer support, and leisure and recreation.

Ask Us

United Spinal’s Ask Us program connects you with information, resources, and access to our “Ask Us Spinal Cord Central” help center. Browse the Knowledge Books below for answers to your questions. If you can’t find what you are looking for just Ask Us and one of our knowledgeable staff will provide you with answers.
You are here >>:Home/Donate/Transfer of Securities
Transfer of Securities 2016-12-31T02:26:39+00:00

Making a gift of appreciated securities (stock, bonds and mutual funds) to United Spinal Association is easy and has some special tax benefits. Most gifts of appreciated securities that you have held for more than a year are fully deductible at fair market value, and you do not incur a tax on unrealized capital gains. (Please consult your tax advisor for a complete assessment of your tax situation.)

Ways to Transfer Appreciated Securities

By Phone
Instruct your bank or broker to transfer your gift of securities to United Spinal Association electronically. To use an electronic transfer, provide the following information to your broker or ask your broker to call the Development Department at 800-404-2898, x210 for routing instructions.

Clearing Agent: National Financial Services Corp.
DTC Participant No. 226
Account Name: United Spinal Association
Account No.: CL7-639710

Our Tax Identification Number (TIN): 13-5612621

By Mail
1. Send your unendorsed stock certificate(s) by registered mail to:

United Spinal Association
National Headquarters
Development Department
75-20 Astoria Boulevard
Jackson Heights, NY 11370

2. In a separate envelope, by regular mail, send to the same address:

    a. A signed stock power (one power for each certificate; complete the signature block exactly as the stock is registered) and
    b. A brief note identifying yourself (name, address, phone number) and describing the number of shares and the name(s) of the stock(s).

Mail both envelopes on the same day. The date of the gift is determined by the postmarks.

Gifts of mutual funds

Mutual fund shares that have appreciated in value are an excellent charitable gift with tax advantages similar to those from gifts of other appreciated securities. Generally, mutual fund shares must be transferred by the mutual fund company. To make a gift of mutual fund shares, please ask your mutual fund company to provide you instructions and the forms necessary for making a charitable gift. Please call us at 800-404-2898, x210 if we may be of help to you.

Multiply your gift

Thousands of corporations have matching gift programs that will match gifts of securities made by employees, their spouses, retirees, and directors. Please check with your company’s human resources or public relations office to determine if it will match your gift. If so, please obtain the appropriate form from the company and forward it with your gift.

Tax Advantages of Donating Appreciated Securities

Other questions?

If you have any questions regarding your gift of appreciated securities, please contact our Development Department at 800-404-2898, x210 for assistance.