People’s health, services, and lives are at stake!
We refuse to return to the DIS-ABLING past when people with a disability could not get adequate health care. We have fought hard and long for change and refuse to be victimized and marginalized once more by misguided policy making. Contact your elected officials now!
The House of Representatives is expected to introduce a bill to cut Medicaid and the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and to begin committee work on a replacement immediately. The result would be major losses to individuals with disabilities.
You must reach out to your Senators and Representatives to let them know why the ACA and Medicaid are essential to you and your families and that they must retain certain benefits and services in any replacement policy:
- Because of the ACA, health insurers can’t deny health insurance if you have a disability or chronic condition – the pre-existing condition protection.
- Because of the ACA, there aren’t arbitrary financial limits to how much health care you can get in a year or in your lifetime.
- Because of the ACA, more people with disabilities receive supports and live in the community, not institutions.
- Loss of home and community-based services and supports. Waiting lists would quickly grow.
- Loss of other critical services such as personal care, mental health, prescription drugs, and rehabilitative services. If funds become more scarce, states may decide to stop providing these services altogether.
- Being forced into unnecessary institutionalization. States could return to the days of “warehousing” people with disabilities in institutions.
- Health care costs being shifted to individuals or family members to make up for the federal cuts. The costs of providing health care and long term services and supports will not go away, but will be shifted to individuals, parents, states, and providers.